Saturday, November 14, 2009

The great November cake bake

November is the great cake-baking month; there are so many birthdays. Last night I finished the two cakes for Jack and Cael's birthday party today. Sawyer's is coming up next week and I haven't decided what kind of cake to make him. Am taking suggestions.

We decided to do two cakes--one chocolate, one vanilla. Here is the chocolate cake in the initial stages of frosting.





















All frosted, ready to receive its blessed veil of fondant.





















This is the white fondant that I put on the vanilla cake after frosting it with vanilla buttercream. My last fondant attempt was 'nul' as the Fronch say, but this time I got a good recipe and used about 8 lbs of cornstarch.





















Gently smoothing, smoothing...cut the edges off and dust furiously with a pastry brush.




















Both cakes are covered with fondant now and ready to proudly bear a superhero emblem.
























Superman waits patiently while Iron Man gets his kit on.





















I hope these suckers survive the drive to south Denver.



No comments: